Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a2hill's JK Build

a2hill's JK Build

This build started as a used honcho that i picked up from someone on the forums.
    It came with a whole lotta nothing, but was decent for my first rig. It did have alum links and a Tekin 45t motor.. but nothing fancy otherwise.

This is my first real hobby grade build where im having to deal with mounting and fabricating items for a RC Crawler.

I have been into smaller RCs with my son for a while and decided that being able to crawl over nearly anything was more fun.

My first crawler was the MRC Pro, i built that guy up and have had a tonne of fun running him over everthing. But there was still something missing that the MRC couldnt fill. and that was my urge to build and create something that resembled a real vehicle. So, i jumped into the scaling side of things. Also, being close-ish to people that were in to this also helped the transition. I do enjoy healthy, fun competition from time to time.

*disclaimer:: This is my first build and im sure im doing everything wrong. but love it, and would love to hear any and all feedback to help further the development of this rig*

I started out with the Honcho::

Super fun when i first got it. I picked up a which and a new RX/TX system and began playing. Shes even got a couple comps under her belt :)

I had lots of fun bath time

This was first time sending it in the deep...i got a little excited ;)

But i wasnt satisfied. I wanted a Jeep, ive always loved Jeeps. Ive owned 3 in my lifetime and have had great experiences with them.

So, my current vehicle is an 08 Wrangler, maroon color i guess. Her name is Meep. :) Kid named her, and it stuck. Currently Shes stock 4wd. but wont be that way forever

So this build is 'officially' labeled the

"Wish my 1:1 was this cool!" build

Meep will be the inspiration for initial color and occupants. but besides that miniMeep is going to be a much more capable rock cralwer. Potentially causing a reverse scale build. :)

I picked up a NewBright JK off an auction site for 40$ and from what ive seen it was quite a good score.

Immediately i got paint on it::

It came out like crap:: So i completely stripped it down to bare plastic and tried again::

This is what i ended up with:

I then began ordering parts:

I ended up getting stuff for the XR mod because the highsteer VP knucks did absolutely nothing for my atrocious steering.

After the front was together including OD gears and tubes the whole 9 i worked on the rear
    I cleaned them out and put a 4link truss with down mounts. Someone made this for me because at the time i didnt have material or machine to weld. But the holes for the mount are crooked. At some point im going to remake it.

So to make up for the lower crookedness the upper mount is off and its driving me crazy.. but it works well. I like the look and functionality even if its not full scale.

I installed the links and worked on the CMS by HandBros. I got this set up because of the 3-link truss. I wouldnt have been able to make something that nice.

It didnt work out too well at first because i moved the front axles forward and the mount needs to go in a certain spot. Being there was enough open space on the back end of the mount i drilled a hole using the original as a set screw.

I cleaned up a few things and installed the rear then begin installing other things.

Gonna use this bumper because it was there. I will make custom one at some ponit...

I installed sheet metal for battery mounts::

But the battery i made a couple weeks ago isnt going to work like i thought::

I have 4 more 1s 2200mah lipos on their way to make a 4s split config to utilize and even weight on both plates.

I ordered some RC4WD Ultimate Scale shocks. I like them, too soft, but going to make them work...

So as MiniMeep stands at the time of this post::

I have a lot to do and plenty more updates to come. Let me know what ya think!

UPDATE:

Ive managed to get the body mounts set up, I've built a rear bumper with sq tubing which is part of the rear mount. The front is using the stinger bumper with velcro.

Love the forums! So many good ideas, thanks every one!

I also installed rear shocks in stock location along with the rear mounted rc4wd ones. Looks slick and performs better then before, and no torque twist.

Also:

I have these ordered: LockedUp RC Iconic 1.9 8L Beadlocks

Going to wrap them with these:MT Baja Claws

Cant wait!!!

CORR IT UP !!!
    Looking good !!!
    CORR IT UP !!!

Thumbs up

Thanks!

Small update for now::

My wheels and tires came in! cant wait to get these installed :)

Great choice on wheels and tires, your gonna love them!

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

CORR IT UP !!!
    Lock em up !!!:arrowu:
    CORR IT UP !!!

Looking good! Did the oven cleaner do a good job of removing the paint without damaging the plastic?

Oh, and what's with the picture of the Preying Mantis' gettin' jiggy?? :lol2:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

HA! who doesnt like seeing two sticks gettin jiggy?? ;)

Actually, no the oven cleaner blew chunks.. I filled a bigger bucket with gasoline and went at it, worked really good and didnt seem to weaken the plastic that i can tell. I did do it as fast as i possibly could and would rinse it in fresh water every minute or two