Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SGTSteve's JK

SGTSteve's JK

There are many like it, but this one is mine....

Finally got enough done to start a thread. Spent pretty much all day yesterday and today getting the steering and front bumper done. I hate making bumpers, but I am pretty pleased with how this one turned out. I want to add a subtle stinger to it, but thats for another day. As far as the steering goes, its pretty good but could be better. I think once I get some high clearance arms it will be a bit better. I was also able to get the body to sit down where i want it, with very little interior cutting.

To do list:
    Rear tire carrier - keeping the plastic bumber for now, but will reinforce it with steel.
    Paint and finish trimming the body.
    Figure out how/where to mount electronics.
    Sleeve links and all those other little details.
    Rock sliders
    More stuff to list, but I cant think of it right now.

Bumper doesnt stick out too much like my previous attempts. I dont really like how the thingy sticks out, but Im sure my awesome driving skills will keep it from getting hung up.

How its mounted - mounts need some trimming - but its strong, welded the mounts to the bumper

Havent moved the front shock hoops yet so temporary extenders for now.

Rear axle moved back approx 1/4 inch, made new shock mounts, still need to clean them up a bit.

Steering linkage w/panhard, made my own versoin of the handbros 3 link + panhard mount..also needs to be cleaned up.

Fender flares have been cut a bit, but the blue tape shows where the next series of cuts will be made, i think it will look awesome.

Put the light there to plug up the hole for now, not sure if it will stay buts it kinda growing on me..have to wire up all the lights too, so that might be what determines if it stays or goes.

One more of the steering linkages, the drag link and panhard are actually on the same plane and the same length.

Did the mod to the mirrows, used a ball cup though versus the other one, i think it looks pretty good.

Flexing those mucles..

Good alround tire tuck, minimal rubbing, but thats how i roll...

4" of travel for both front and rear, although the front articulation isnt as smooth as i wanted there isnt any bumpsteer, so score one for me.

Overall this think is coming togther pretty well, im actually really excited about getting it finished.

Questions or suggestions welcome as always - my feelings will only be hurt for a short time so go ahead with the critiics. Check be later this week as i may get a few more tnings done this week.

anyone know the best wasy to remove the white new bright lettering off the window without destroying it? I have some goof off, but dont know if it will damage the lexan.

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    I've been wondering the same thing myself.

Looks like you can use nail polish remover without acetone:
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...ght=bright+mud
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Steve, the Jeep is looking great! And you did a fantastic job on that bumper, too. When you pick up some front knuckles, I would strongly suggest the Vanquish high steers because they have two mounting hole locations which can help you gain more steering travel. Also, you will likely need to raise your steering servo if you mount your tie rod above the knuckles. No biggie, but something to be aware of.

Zero bumpsteer is great, but for low speed crawling it's really not very important, so focus on getting as much steering as possible and "bind free" suspension movement. If you can get all that, then I would suggest tweaking the bumpsteer. :)

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    I just noticed your trackbar axle mount.

I'm curious .... have any more pics of that?
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
    I just noticed your trackbar axle mount.

I'm curious .... have any more pics of that?
    Only other one i have right now. I will get more tonight.

Tommy, I think I will get the Vanquish ones and move the tierod to the underside, that would actually fix the binding issue i see now. I cant raise the servo anymore or the arm will hit the chassis and I dont really want to file down the chassis. I want to get some aluminum c's too.

Here are few more of that mount. Im pulling it off tomorrow to clean it up a bit.

Few picks of the link mount removed. Gonna get it cleaned up tonight.

and after cleaning: