Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy's Scaler Build

Re: Tommy's Scaler Build

on mine the body is trimmed right around the spur gear. I can try and post pics later, also on mine I have the rpp fender flairs which makes the tires look right with the stock scx10 wheels compared to the body. granted I am using an x trail chassis most everything is the same as an scx chassis

I've got two gripes with the Flat Irons. The voids are too small and the outer lugs are too squared off. I'm not going to cut the tires so I won't be doing anything about the voids, but I took the same flapper wheel I used on my rings and rounded off the outer lugs. They look much more like a BFG Krawler to me. :mrgreen:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Steering servo is mounted up and I thought some of y'all might like to see how it works with the track bar and Hand Brothers mounts. Tight clearances, but no interference even at max articulation or full bump.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Love the beadlocks man!

I cut these flatirons and gained tons of improvements in grip.
    Don't fix it if it's not broke. Now thats just stupid...
    Sponsored by:
    Radio Control Headquarters http://www.shoprchq.com
    www.rchqonline.com

I considered that, but wasn't willing to lose the scale appearance of the current tread pattern. I'll try them as-is, but honestly I suspect I'll be moving to other tires soon enough so no need to invest too much time in these Flat Irons. :cool2:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Okay, this should be my last post for the day. I'm getting tired. But I got the body bolted together and tried to do some more accurate mocking of the body to the frame. For a scale look, I want the frame to be visible below the body of the cab, but just barely. I hate the look of body lifts and I want to keep it to a minimum. This will not only make it look more realistic, but it'll also make it easy for me to build some rock sliders that bolt to the frame. In fact, it'll be just like the sliders I built for my Bronco a few years ago.

It turns out having the bed sit flush on top of the rear shock towers puts the body at the perfect height. For simplicity, I may just pop two small holes in the bed to mount it. I was hoping to mount the body with no additional holes, but maybe not. Not sure how I plan to mount the front yet. Anyway, here's the approximate position the body will end up in relative to the chassis.

And a close up of the amount of chassis hanging below the body.

Overall, it still sits a bit tall for my taste, but I may just deal with it. It's not too much taller than I'd prefer and I'm hoping not to cut the fender openings too much for tire clearance so this height may work okay after all. I think a slightly shorter tire may also work nicely for the look I'm after, but I'm hoping not to spend that money too soon. :lol2:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar

I think the H1 wheels from RC4WD might get you the width you want...

Looks good so far.
    LOCKED UP RC
    LockedUpRC.com

I think you're right, but I just would prefer not to run those. I'm looking for a wheel style that would be more common on street driven rigs. Honestly, I really like the wheels the kit came with. I just wish they were narrower and/or had more backspacing.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

be careful about mounting your bed to the frame with just a couple screws, it will eventually pull through. so flange it somewhere like you would a cage to floor thingy.