Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D90 *UPDATE*

D90 *UPDATE*

Just bought a new car today, 2009 VW Jetta. being supper excited about this and thinking how much better my day could get, i arrive at my home, where there is a certified mail receipt, just missd the mailmail. The note said to come by after 6am tomorrow to pick it up. Being a rather impatiente person, I decided I would drive up in my ride to the postoffice see what happens. The lady take my slip to back and after waiting about 5 axnious minutes she returend with a box in hand, one that seems i could the D90,. Did my stuff and took home. Unwrapped it and wow, kinda like that moment in pulpfiction when the bx is opened and this glowing force memsmrixes though who watch it....yea yea it was like. I looked over the entire body, parts, buts, pieces, and its all there. body cam from the factory painted white, almost like a primer white. i can tell that there are go be some place that need some fine tunnin in regards to access plastic.... Overall, getting this boddy has reborn my interest and drive to get it done. Below are al the parts I have followed by what i need followed by what the goal is,
    First off, the body
    :Unpacked out of the box

Shot of it over the T-Rex 60 and Mud Thrashers. I think its a bit wide, but I think I will learn to live it, the tires should be able to articulate in the wheel wells mostly

Here is wat I have collected so far: Need a 3pk spektrum or spectrum dx3r for shoooow. Also need to get an airbrush so that can a nice paint done on it.

http://s486.photobucket.com/albums/rr22 ... 6_1776.jpg

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Re: *UPDATE*

looks killer! the width doesnt look too bad.
    but if it really bothers you switch to a tamiya 1.9 or HPI 0mm plastic wheel. or if you can track down a set, my 5 spoke beadlocks have the same offset as tamiya.
    all will pull the wheels in.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

great googly goblins Steve!

looks good, what color are you going with for the body?

My noob colors are shinning through! I accidentally started a new thread instead of updating the original. Mods, if we can rename this thread to Defender 90 that would be awesome, then just delete my first thread. I tried to delete it but it didnt work. Here is some of the info from that first thread:

ESC: FXR

Servo: MG946R (cheap yet effective) - chassis mounted

TX/Rx: Not sure, want a DX3r or 3PK, but too much for now.

Batt: 2S Lipo, probably around 2500mah, still need to purchase.

Axles: RC4WD T-Rex 60's

Suspension: As close to actual as possible, no leafs, 3 link I think. More research needed.

Chassis: Home made from 1/2" steel square tube, bent and halved (made it a while back and saved it for a special build since I think it came out really nice. Just to measure it to make sure it works with this body, wheel base is around 277mm - 10.8")

Rims: RC4WD OEM Steel Stock beadlocks

Tires: RC4WD Mud Thrashers with stock foams, will stiffen sidewalls eventually.

Trans: RC4WD R2

Scale goodies: 3Racing winch, just got it and like it alot. roof rack (will make from 3/16" brake line), accesories like sleeping bag, shovel....

Body: Unknown manufacturer (Hong Kong retailers keeping it a secret apparently) Defender 90. Will have headlights, brake lights and maybe spot light or lights incorporated into the roof rack. Not sure on color yet, need to do more research to get it as "realistic" and classic looking as possible.

Crap, thats alot of work now that I see it. I hope to have this done within the next 2 months. Pics up soon of what I have so far.

Color will be as close to this as possible:

Coniston Green LRC570/HYE

Im getting an airbrush as soon as I can find a steal for one. I want an Iwata, but not ready to spend over $100 on one yet.

Team Manager

I have just about all the pieces I need now, so I have started on a few things. Actually just one, the chassis. i bent it up before I got the body, and although it looks like it will work, Im not too happy with the way the rear came out. The span, across the rear axle is too long, so I might either try and fix it or just make another one.

Team Manager

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
    looks killer! the width doesnt look too bad.
    but if it really bothers you switch to a tamiya 1.9 or HPI 0mm plastic wheel. or if you can track down a set, my 5 spoke beadlocks have the same offset as tamiya.
    all will pull the wheels in.
    I know, I know, tried to buy a set from you not too long ago but you had already sold out.

Team Manager

may i suggest ditching that R2?
    there noisy, tight and slow.

the axial would be much better suited. smaller, cheaper, lighter, smoother, more efficient, and alot better gear ratio for a scaler. youll probly struggle with getting enough wheel speed with the r2
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
    may i suggest ditching that R2?
    there noisy, tight and slow.

the axial would be much better suited. smaller, cheaper, lighter, smoother, more efficient, and alot better gear ratio for a scaler. youll probly struggle with getting enough wheel speed with the r2
    You can suggest all day long and I dont care dammit! Kidding, I have heard of those "issues" but think that with the right lub and proper gearing it will be ok. I got a great deal on one and really wanted to use it since it sits lower than the axial and wouldnt require any interior cutting. The other option was to use a t-case, but then I would need a GRU, so we are looking at another $20 - wheely king gru (cheapo) and $50-$70 for T case. I do have my sons truck setup with a GD600 to a wheely king trans as the t-case, but need a gru for it. I could swap that out and put it in mine, save some cash that way. This dillema is one reason I asked you about the T-case you were working on.

Team Manager

Re: D90 *UPDATE*

Made up a new chassis, just wasnt happy with that first one. This one is much better in my opinion, and polished, which looks cool. Im sure it will rust in no time though and Im not sure if I want it too or not. I also bought some landy wheels from the same guy I got the body from. Now I need to start laying everything out, drill holes, and split the steel.

New Chassis:

Team Manager

Re: D90 *UPDATE*

Got a bunch of chassis work done, probably gonna start the body work this weekend. Decided not to go with R2, as I would have to trim the interior and I really dont want to have to do that. So, now Im in the market for a transfer case...

Looks like its gonna sit real nice, fighting the urge to get the new RC4WD 1.5's.

Team Manager