PDA

View Full Version : What do y'all thank

04 silver bullet
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm looking to buy a ridgecrest or do you thank it would be best to get a Wraith any info wuold help thanks

bbking9
07-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I thought you already had the Ridgecrest?? I like Joe at TNT but ... I'm kinda tired of paying for those 2 - $60,000 (each) BMWs he and his wife drive. I do like to support my local LHS - to a point. I buy all my screws, paint, bodies, wire, solder servo horns, etc... from TNT

I may be biased - but I would get a Wraith. on my last Wraith I bought it on Tower Hobbies and used the 3 EZ payment plan - pay 1/3 when you buy it. they ship then. 30 days after that they bill your cc 1/3 again. 60 days after your original purchase - they bill you 1/3 again. PAID FOR. No finance charges.

The best thing about Tower or any other online vendor is NO STATE sales tax. That saves you $25. Shipping with Tower is FREE as well - and they ship fast. PLUS TYPE In A CODE AND GET $30 off. SO the $309 Kit becomes $280 shipped! $280 / 3 = $93 - 3 times. At TNT your looking at $309 + sales tax of $25 = $334. These prices are for the Wraith Kit.

I would buy the KIT - NOT THE RTR. Buy a cheap radio system. Motor from Holmes Hobbies for $35 and a used ESC that supports 3S lipo. Buy a new servo from servo city for $69.

The thing with the kit is:
No Universals
Crappy (by comparison to other stuff out there) electronics (ESC, motor, Servo)
Crappy tires

$280 vs $334 = $54 savings. Use that $54 to put towards some GOOD electronics.

There - I've said my piece. And thats all I have to say about it (unless you have some questions).:smokin:

04 silver bullet
07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
So get the Wraith kit

bbking9
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I would. Ace may say to get the Kit. But - he has been very lucky that his motor has not burned up and his servo is still intact (he may have replaced the servo - not sure).

I know you have not done RC stuff before - but we'll all help you. You will have to put the kit (chassis, etc...) together - but that is half the fun. That part is easy.

The electronics can be a little intimidating if you've never done it. But that's where we come in.

EDIT: I forgot - dont buy the FlySky radio - it goes through AA batteries like you wouldn't believe.ALSO - I dont really know what TNT sells the RTR Wraith for - offhand I think $419 + $35 tax = $454.

The prices I used above were all Tower Hobbies prices. TNT is higher than Tower - I guarantee.

If you dont want to spend the extra $ to get a kit up and running - Tower at $369 shipped is still a good rig. Just not gonna be quite as good as the kit with all upgraded electronics, tires , universals...

ace138
07-12-2012, 07:35 AM
IMO, If you are going to get a new Wraith, get the kit. That way, you only have to build it once. I would have went with a kit, but couldn't wait for the Kit verison to become available. When the Wraith first dropped, I had to have it, even though it was RTR.

I would look used too.

I don't know about the Ridgecrust, but you can't go wrong with a Wraith.:thumbsup:

jcsaxial
07-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I have seen the ridgecrest in person, well at least w/o the body and its baisicly an ax10 w wraith axles or crawler based. It all depends on what your lookin at doin w it. I agree go w the wraith kit and pick good electronics vs. axials. Now i have read the esc will work on 3s and has a drag break but in my experience (not much) stock elect. suck! Just my 2 cents.

bbking9
07-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Damn. looked who popped up. Supp brutha ??

Dont you have a Wraith for sale ???

jcsaxial
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
well idk I started doin some thinkin here a while back and i hate to get rid of somethin that i may regret. right now they are just on the back burner. Go rid of the s10 and been doing some mods to the new truck instead. I do plan on getting back out at some point i cant leave all the fun to you guys! W that bein said its hard with me workin weekends and the way the past few weeks have gone anywhere from 50 to 80 hrs a week so time has definitly been a factor. Its been too hot to get in the garage and weld up the new ttc rig that i have most of the parts for. damn long winded sorry! I will be back but it may take a while.

bbking9
07-12-2012, 09:31 PM
cool. we can run around 7 at night when it is cooler.

04 silver bullet
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
How did the run go

mikeTRON
07-13-2012, 03:31 PM
The Bully was down before I got there and the wraith rear diff was stripped but I still have a blast driving it in 2wd :)
I am fairly certain I am buying a wraith at the very least.... anything to prevent me from continuing to build my 1:1

bbking9
07-13-2012, 07:58 PM
yea, i made some changes to the bully links by increasing them with spacers to increase the wheelbase. but did not make the threaded studs any longer - so it failed.

need diff gears for wraith. but they got they idea.

pulled muscle in my back. out for a day or two,