Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ton Up! - 2 week build #icantbelieveimdoingthis

Minor update -

Chassis testing is just about done. I've beat this up on the rocks and it's done nothing but ask for more. I'll add 2 more tubes for some bracing and a couple tabs for tow hooks and paint this thing up. I need to find someone who's good with lexan to do a "show/shelf" body for it so I can keep beating this one up and not feel bad. The additional bracing probably isn't needed however I did some testing with some tow hook points and the location I figured out should give me scary good traction while pulling (pulling backwards with 30-40lb force with the rear tires chocked, rear suspension full compression and front tires still on the ground). With the entire driveline being steel my biggest concern at this point is bending the cage if I do a "tug of war" with the truck. While I have the brazing torch out I'll also braze on some nuts for bodywork/panels out back and see if I can come up with a better body mount solution for the cab. In addition to all of this I need to get a servo winch mount figured out and I'll build a small bumper to mount an rc4wd winch for scale realism as well as a few more lights.

I've now removed the slash proline front shocks from the front and went with slash rears up front in addition to moving some of the mounting points around and getting it a bit lower. This helped out side hilling a whole bunch and improved articulation however it did require more cutting of the body around the headlights to clear. I still need to play around with the springs some but for right now it's not bad with the lower links just above level.

I've also installed a 17.5T brushless setup to get a bit more wheel speed and keep it cool while I push it in the rocks.

I also started getting the exo interior to fit and painted up, I'll post some more photos of this in the next few days when I make a dash for it and get everything pained up and ready to install.

Thought about adding a bumper to the front for some "scale points" as well as a place to mount some tow shackles and a fairlead for a winch. I bent this up real quick this morning to get some ideas. Any opinions on it? I think I'll ditch the idea of having the rc4wd winch for appearances as it'll cause me to give up too much front approach angle for crawling. I have managed to clip my frame rails on the rocks a few times already, maybe something this small wouldn't hurt the performance too bad.

What do y'all think? Obviously it'll look a little different with braces installed but it gives a general idea.

On a different note, with the new motor this thing's a beast on hillcilmbs. You won't catch me standing behind it...

Lol it looks good to me. :)
    RC is not a just hobby, it is more than that, it is an addiction.

Cool. I debate a lot with myself back and forth on this and it's always good to get someone else's opinion to clear my thoughts.

More parts on the way, jato rod ends to stretch the wheelbase some and BMRC trailing arms for a bit more travel/articulation out back.

The exo interior is trimmed up, now I just need to finish a dashboard and steering wheel for it and put some action figures in it. I may braze on the bumper in the morning with a fairlead to start getting this set up for a winch.

Beast Mode -

Looks good, I'm assuming we can check it out in person on Sunday!

Minor update -

Chassis is torn back down for cleanup, addition of a bumper, a new battery tray, tow shackle mounts, a rear swaybar mount and mounts for panels to hold some scale accessories. The body mounts will be moved as well to accomodate screws to attach it to the body rather than the velco I had too much faith in.

BMRC trailing arms and Jato rod ends will be here Monday to get a bit more flex out back.

And I believe what is quite possibly the very last Novak Ballistic 550 8.5T/2500kv stator in the world has arrived. This will double the torque output I currently have and should keep everything much cooler. The Ballistic 550 is coming out of my twin hammers as it really doesn't need that much power and this motor will serve a better purpose in this rig. Hopefully with this only being 2 pole I don't shred axle pinion bearings too quickly.