Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ton Up! - 2 week build #icantbelieveimdoingthis

Ton Up! - 2 week build #icantbelieveimdoingthis

Well, after finally regaining my free time and learning of a multiple day crawl event in a couple weeks I've wound up starting a 2 week "crash" build to get something ready in time that's more appropriate for crawling than my twin hammers. So, I spent all weekend rebuilding the axles and trans getting ready for the rest of the parts to get here Wednesday.

No pics right now, I'll post some when I get home from work, parts list will be as follows.

VP Currie Axles, Wraith width
    VP Wraith links
    Axial Wraith skidplate
    Axial SCX10 chassis with custom shock hoops, truggy cage and bumper
    Proline Slash V1 shocks
    Vaterra Twin Hammers trans, Hobbico CS-150 shift servo with Gearhead shift servo plate and custom trans to chassis adapter 19/78 gearing
    MIP driveshafts
    Hitec 7955 steering servo
    CCBEC
    Futaba 4PL
    Proline F250 Super Duty cab
    RC4wd 2.2 Predators
    Pitbull RB2's
    Tekin T45 HD brushed motor
    Castle SV3
    Dynamite 2100MAH 3s lipo (have a bunch of these so it'll work out great for a small battery with plenty of power, plus who doesn't like "lifetime" warranty)
    Last edited by Drew; 08-01-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Drew,

Post up some pictures when you have a chance, and don't forget the lights! :) A lot of lights....

Quote Originally Posted by luenhsing View Post
    Drew,

Post up some pictures when you have a chance, and don't forget the lights! :) A lot of lights....
    Definitely lots of pics over the next couple days. I forgot to mention the lights in that first post but I have a Tamiya light controller with foglight LED's and tail lights as well as a VP 4" and 5" light bar that'll get put on this rig, depending on which one fits the body better. I do need to pick up some more LED strings and a different controller so I can do headlights, turn signals, running lights and a couple more things to run my batteries down. The Tamiya controller came with my CC01 FJ40 and I've been saving it for a rainy day.

Sorry for the flash, I still haven't gotten around to putting up the lighting in that part of the shop yet.

TWH trans compared to the Wraith, note the much larger slipper. 19T 48p is about the smallest pinion that will fit with this funky motor mount (at least pinion changes are easy). I also have quite a few 51t 32p spurs since I used to race a xxx-nt and it uses the same gear, I don't currently have a pinion small enough and I'm not sure the 48p gears are going to be a problem. Overall footprint is about the same however the TWH trans is larger, it's not unmanageable though.

Rebuilt some curries I have that have been out of commission too long. I tried them in a bouncer style build and it destroyed pinion bearings and bushings, I hope this makes wraith size rigs much more fun to drive again with less maintenance time. Trans location is possibly not in its intended location, still debating this. The front shock mounts on the axle are for clearance with behind the axle steered CMS.

Well, USPS decided to deliver my parts late, thank god I didn't really "need" them until this weekend.

So, the build thread resumes,

Axial Exo interior, seems to fit pretty well although I won't really be sure until I can trim it some more to confirm
    Proline F250 cab as previously mentioned, so much for boat sides, this body isn't tall enough to make it worth it with SORRCA rules.
    Axial SCX10 full chassis from RPP's junkyard (crazy deals on here BTW, these parts are new)
    And some other odds and ends that didn't make the pic.

Got some time this morning to play around with it some. I rebuilt my 7955 servo and I got the scx10 chassis stripped down to just the front crossmember and frame rails and massaged them to the wraith skid width. I'll weld some tabs tomorrow onto the rails that will bolt up to the skid and drop it approximately 1/2" to give me a fully extended chassis height of about 3.75" and fully compressed height of about 2.25". This truck won't be super flexy but should still perform well with pretty much all of the weight below the top of the tires. I also got the cab rough cut to fit a little closer to where I want it, parallax in these photos makes it look wider than the tires. Cab and tire relation will remain about the same with the chassis getting moved up a little and the back of the cab being modded to accomodate it. Hopefully everything clears adequately once the body is actually trimmed and I don't have to "comp cut" it.

The chassis rails will be chopped about where the rear upper link meets the skid and tube work will start from there. Just for fun I decided to try the Axial front towers before I build new ones and I wasn't totally displeased with the location. The chassis has about 1/8" clearance from the axle truss just as it hits the bump stops, which are rubber so they might flex a bit.

Does anyone have any color suggestions for this truck? The beadlocks are just plastidip and they will probably be returned to silver, or painted to match the body.

Sorry pic quality isn't the greatest.

Drew, Looks cool, are you going with a custom bed for the truck? lets see what you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by luenhsing View Post
    Drew, Looks cool, are you going with a custom bed for the truck? lets see what you have in mind?
    Thanks, this truck will definitely be a beast when it's all said and done.

It'll be a tube bed like any standard truggy, no specifics on a cage yet other than it'll be different than the Dingo cage. I'm going to keep it fairly light with the expectation that I might do an exocage for it if time allows. My major concern over the next week is effective rock sliders, the truggy back, a bumper and CMS steering.

A couple ideas I have for inspiration.

Drew where did you get the pics of the one to ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ask because I have a s10 I might want to do up like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk