Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~TSS~ "Gus"

Thumbs up ~TSS~ "Gus"

Well it’s been a few years since I've built a big tire rig or a done an elaborate build. This started as just wanting a cheap simple plastic wraith build for some carefree fun, then it just snow balled.:mrgreen:

I hit up Jesse at Jwalker Designs and shipped him a box of stuff. The chassis is all 3/16” Chromoly tubing. I have to say he was amazing to work with, very fast and always in constant contact giving me options and letting me throw ideas at him. The fit, precision and square ness of the chassis is amazing. Final chassis weight is a little over 1.5lbs :shock: I couldn’t be happier.

Full chassis build here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/gener...la-ss-tss.html

The body is the Dynamic Concepts blazer with tall cowl. I had Ken make me a couple custom hard body versions as well. The center one is styrene and the one on the right is ABS.

Got a PM back from MThead at Fubar crawlers with the custom badges

Chassis on the lift

Front axle is AR60 and will be sent off to Clay at Carter Fab for some work ;). Rear axle is RC4WD Hardcore axle. The width is a perfect match for the wraith axles, and with OD gears on the front axle the ratio is a great match too. Will have a very mild UD in the rear.

On the links I got lazy, but it gave me a great idea that worked out. I ordered some ¼” diameter threaded standoffs from Mcmaster carr as well as matching 8-32 studs. A perfect fit for the Revo rod ends. They make the standoffs in ½” increments, and in aluminum, steel, and stainless. About $1.30 each. These are the 3” and 4” aluminum versions. With the different lengths, and Revo and Jato rod ends you can make just about any length you'd want.

Started mock up and got it into a slider

Also got to work on the scale LS1 motor. I removed the venturi manifold from a ridemakerz motor and started on the new manifold.
    Used a piece of PVC for the base and curve.

Then I heated the styrene up and wrapped it around the same PVC tube.

Cut out the pvc base, and sectioned the runners

then glued them together and test fit.

working on the throttle body and filter now.

Got alot left on this rig, gonna be a slow winter build, defiantly looking forward to it though.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

What a great looking rig this is shaping out to be Cory! Great idea on the motor too, definitely going to steal some ideas

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Loving the LS1 so far, will keep an eye on this build.

thanks guys!

I got a little more done.

got the ends of the manifolds done, and a throttle body made, found a filter too (my toothpaste is now cap-less )

all my rigs run BRXLs and HH 45T torquemasters, but I wanted more from this one, so I hit up John and told him what I was looking for and he sent out a Crawlmaster Pro 16T and one of the new BR-minis!

as embarrassing as it is to admit this will be my first HV setup and first rig with an external BEC. hopefully ive got it wired up right? BEC is set to 7.4v (HS-7954sh)

at first I had the DB set to 50% but was getting more fire shooting out of the comm than I wanted. so I backed it down to 30%. seemed better. any suggestions here or for tweaking other settings?

got a smash made. I had hoped I could just silicone the ends for waterproofing, but the shrink wraping didn't go as planed. holes on the ends are pretty large.

also got a box in from vanquish. sent them off to Clay at Carter Fab
    2009 Runner Up

It is coming along nicely.

Harry

Holy smokes, how'd I miss this one?? Got any updates, Cory?

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

So, quick question the Beefy Tube will fit in the Vanquish Axle without mod? And is it needed? Just want to know before ordering the Vanquish and Beefy Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    Holy smokes, how'd I miss this one?? Got any updates, Cory?
    incoming!

Quote Originally Posted by luenhsing View Post
    So, quick question the Beefy Tube will fit in the Vanquish Axle without mod? And is it needed? Just want to know before ordering the Vanquish and Beefy Tube.
    no they will not fit, and no they are not needed. few people snap the plastic housings, and no one is snapping the VP aluminum versions ;)
    2009 Runner Up

I hit up Eddie at crawler innovations for a few parts and advice. ended up picked up a set of soft, medium and firm 6.0 DDs. He recommended the medium front, and firm rears for Gus. Ive also never owned or run a set of pitbull tires, but there performance reports on the forum seem to speak for themselves. Anxious to see if they live up to the hype. always preferred the looks of claws, but im sure on the rocks these will help me hang with the big boys.

also picked up a set of his tranny outputs, mostly to help with the off center bias of the trans and driveshaft lengths. more on that later...
    2009 Runner Up

while the axles were off at CFM I decided to build a set of ultimate scale shocks. ala Hulksta mods with scale parts.

parts used
    SCX icon shocks w/ machined pistons
    jeepindoug spring cups
    HPI bladders
    losi o rings
    AE green slime
    Rpp Shock decals
    AE oil

this is the combo I used. stock o-ring first, a spacer, then losi o-ring.

Green slimed inside lower opening and inside O-rings

assembled pistons, and screwed on lower shock cap until it just barely touched 0-ring. leave loose/gap to prevent O-rings tears.

insert shaft(I twist), then tighten cap, then add bump stop to prevent the piston from tearing the bladder. I used a 3mm o-ring instead of the stock rubber tube.

drill breather hole(s) in cap for bladder movement. I did only one 1/16" hole. I choose not to do the additional hole in threaded area that helps the oil escape when tightening cap.

insert jeepindoug captured spring cup and end. bladder for next step.

add springs, spanners, oil, and bleed. add bladder and I always screw on cap with shock fully compressed.
    voila. ill add stickers and resevoirs later "thumbsup"
    2009 Runner Up