Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew's Twin Hammers

Drew's Twin Hammers

Hey y'all.

After blowing up my wraith's esc this weekend I threw together my twin hammers real quick after sitting on the shelf for a month or so. I kinda wish I had spent more time on it initially, after spending a good couple hours with it crawling this morning it way out performs my wraith and any iteration it ever was in, probably because it's 1/3 of the weight.

Currently running:

HS-7955tg servo
    MMP
    Axial 27t brushed motor (random brushed motor I had laying around and no sensored brushless currently)
    Locked out trans into high gear, got tired of burning up shift servos
    4pl radio
    Chaotic Crawlers shock mount
    JunFac driveshaft, purchased for my wraith before I realized how small it is, perfect for this though.
    3s 2100mah lipos
    leaky shock mod
    XXX-NT 32p spur
    RC4wd winch that was going to go on my pig of a wraith.

Wednesday I'm going to order:

Derwood steering kit
    Some 1.9 alum beadlocks so I can mount my rock crushers since rules don't allow any of the losi claw tires
    shocks for a differnt kind of non bellcrank front setup.
    Roc412 3100kv
    Carter Fab roof
    Alum to make custom side panels
    6 billion cst oil for the front diff
    VP rigid 4" light bar and mounts
    Custom bumper with winch mount to go along with my alum hood.

I purchased a SS AX10 trans for my wraith about a month ago that I'm reconsidering using on it. Since I'd like a little extra realestate in the Twin Hammers and I have this awesome trans laying around I'm going to make an adapter plate for it and use it rather than the two speed trans. As cool as a two speed is, I'm usually too busy driving and forget about even having it, coupled with the troubles I had with the stock radio and servo I don't even want to mess with it any more.

Couldn't be more happy with it's current performance although it is lacking a little bit in the steering and raw torque I prefer. I was able to make it up the rock steps at my default driving location. The rock steps have taunted me since I started crawling and the TWH was able to conquer them.

Enough rambling, on to some pics. These are from Monday morning out with my roommate.

Those things are so cool. I know a couple of us here who want one too. Keep us updated on what breaks and overall performance once you get more time behind the wheel:thumbsup:

Team Manager
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

I'll definitely let y'all know. I haven't broken anything yet other than burning up that 27t axial motor doing sand burnouts pushing up against some rocks trying to get some good pics. I did the driveshaft because I had it and I knew I would eventually have a problem and I did the Chaotic Crawlers carbon shock mount because I didn't want to break anything else when I did break the stock mount. I really haven't done much other than upgrade the electronics.

I'm out of play money for another couple days and I don't have any other brushed motors or sensored motors so I threw in a castle 1415 and my MMM2 (waaaay overkill for this). I kept the 20t pinion but decided to lock the trans in low gear. It's going to cog a bit but I can drive around for a few days while I'm waiting on a Tekin ROC412 and a new MMP. I had to give my current MMP loaner back to a friend, it was really just to test to see if mine was bad.

If it's going to break, it's going to break in about 30 mins when this battery is done charging.

*edit*

nothing broke but the low speed control of the MMM2 is terrible. It doesn't cog it just goes. The driving was interesting... I've never had instantaneous torque like that. Really, traction was 100% the limit otherwise I would have been at speed as soon as I pulled the trigger wherever I wanted.

So yeah... ROC412 2200kv and mmp here we come.

Some parts started rolling in, time to get to work.

New parts:

Custom hood I made a few weeks ago
    Carter fab KOH roof
    GearHead beadlock rings
    Sidewinder SV3
    Tamiya Super Stock type BZ 23t with stand up brushes, figured it was worth a try, it seemed interesting for the price
    Vanquish 4" rigid light bar, still waiting on mount from them though.
    Rock Crusher II's installed
    Junfac drive shafts so I can install my scx10 trans
    RC4wd ARB snatch block
    Fast eddy bearings
    500k diff oil

I need to make a front bumper to protect my aluminum hood and have somewhere to mount he winch. I'm going to cut out part of the front tube work and replace it with my own steel pieces to keep the front end with about the same clearance. I need to mount some of the accessories and install my new electronics as well as waterproof my servo. I threw on the wheels, tires, roof and set the hood on it and I thought it looked so dang good I had to post a couple pics. Going to mount the proline welder and optima batteries where they're currently sitting, this'll make changing the battery tons of fun..... Custom side panels and a light kit for it soon as well and this'll be "done" for a little while.

wow what a perfect spot for that rig!
    I want one of those SO bad!
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Quote Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
    wow what a perfect spot for that rig!
    I want one of those SO bad!
    That's without a doubt my go-to local spot unless I'm wanting to drive 45 mins to the other side of the metroplex. There's a really good mix of terrain out there, I wish I had more pics of the place. I will definitely get some more early next week when I take the rig out with it "done".

I'd easily reccomend one of these to anyone. I haven't broken anything on mine yet and the only real mods were for performance with the upgraded electronics and reliability with the driveshaft and front shock mount. The only real reason this is getting a super shafty trans is because I hate the Losi slipper and it's not well supported and I have this trans sitting around not being used. I figure it'll also give me a chance to push the weight a little further forward and allow me to have a good 2 speed trans to use on something else later on.

Threw in the SV3 and 23T motor but kept the original hood and roof on and took it out for a test drive. Speed seems pretty good although I'm not really digging these tires. I ordered up a set of Pitbulls for it last night.

Took a couple vids as well.