Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullitt's class 1 Cherokee

Bullitt's class 1 Cherokee

I guess it is time for me to get myself known in the Texas board. After my failed attempt with a hilux based Unimog, it was time to get serious and make a trail rig that did not tip over every two minutes.

I kept the HL axles and got rid of everything else. I made the chassis out of 1/4" steel key stock that is spaced apart by some Tamiya threaded spacers. I ditched the 3-speed for a Honcho transmission and it will be powered by a 55t lathe motor. I am using RC4WD soft leafs in the rear and associated truck coil springs up front. I am not sure what shocks I will be using at the moment, but more than likely, they will be the stock HL shocks. The wheels are from an 80's Kyosho Optima and the tires are RC4WD 1.7 IROKs. Time for pictures.

That's all for tonight,

Harry

Nice, Harry! I like your spring mounts. Any concerns that they'll be strong enough? I suspect you've got enough experience with styrene to make them stout enough! :lol2: Looking forward to more updates...

Now that I have discovered Tenax, I am a styrene fool! The styrene will break before the "weld" joint will, so I think for the most part, it will be fine. I will need to add bracing to keep the walls from flexing inward during suspension compression. I will place a piece of 1"x1" aluminum angle and bolt it to the frame and bolt the inner fender well wall to the angle. My spring perch is 1" from the bottom of the styrene wall, so the angle will be a good support. I am thinking about making a front and rear wall for my fender well walls that you currently see, that way my radio gear can stay nice and dry.

Harry

I love this build Harry. I am in the process of gathering parts for my Cherokee and will be watching your closely for inspiration. By the way, I recognize the screen name from Scale4x4, you can certainly make some fantastic rigs:thumbsup:

Why thank you Steve. I do enjoy building a lot. Running RCs down here by myself gets a little old, so I usually end up parting out and building something new. I plan on building the Cherokee to be "what I wanted my '96 XJ to be" type build and maybe it will be in the permanent collection. Being married with three kids, I live through my RCs right now. Someday, I want a flat fender and until the misses gives me the green light, RCs it will be. I am hoping that I will be able to join some of y'all in SA for a weekend run in the near future.

Harry

The front suspension is just about done. I mounted my front coil spring mount/inner fender well to the chassis with 8 2-56 screws and it is very solid! Once it is running, I will add some ribs or gussets to remove any flex, if any after the fenders are on. The concern I have now is when one side is up, will the tire rub the coil too much. I still need to mount my shocks, but I am making some progress.

Side view, no load

You can see my lower spring mounts on top of the dinky link. I used a piece of PVC pipe for my spring retainer.

Some compression

Side view with compression- you can see that the spring is now straight up and down when compressed

Front view

Front view with compression. You can see the the upper plates are nice and straight and not bent like I thought they would be.

Until next time,

Harry

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    That is great.
    :thumbsup:
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Well, I am disappointed. I was cleaning off my work bench and I put my Cherokee off to the side and continued. I looked down at it and noticed that there was a problem with the front suspension. When the truck goes across an off-camber situation, the spring does not compress. It justs folds over, providing very little spring rate. The tires also rub up against the springs in this position as well. I am afraid that this just is not going to work. I think the only thing I can do at this point is to search for a 1:1 with coil overs, which should be next to impossible. I will try to post up some pictures tonight of the epic failure.

Harry

Harry, are you saying the axle is moving laterally under the frame? It appears you don't have much triangulation in the suspension and I could see that causing a problem. Maybe add some triangulation in the upper links or convert it to a 3 link and find a way to add a track bar?

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    Harry, are you saying the axle is moving laterally under the frame? It appears you don't have much triangulation in the suspension and I could see that causing a problem. Maybe add some triangulation in the upper links or convert it to a 3 link and find a way to add a track bar?
    My thoughts exactly.

If you are going to do a chassis mounted steering servo, go for a 3 link and a trackbar.
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com