Thread: Tommy R's Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by FatGremlins View Post
    Not a fan of a little toe-in?
    Nope! Nor am I a fan of a LOT of toe in!! :lol2:

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    New shoes arrived today. Love 'em!

Pics from the front?
    Wondering about the narrowing we discussed.
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
    Pics from the front?
    Wondering about the narrowing we discussed.
    Don't have any at the moment....

Poor thing looks all neglected and pitiful at the moment. It's getting a hinged hood, LEDs mounted, relocated electronics, and I made a new battery tray up front. HH 13t Crawlmaster showed up this week and it'll be powered by a HH waterproofed BR-XL on 3s or 4s. Too bad my transmission upgrades will arrive while I'm out of town at the LSU/Oregon game this weekend in Dallas.:ror: Nonetheless, it should be ready to go soon enough...

I finally have a couple worthwhile updates to share. The transmission is all metal now with no slipper, but I'm still waiting on a metal spur gear hub to arrive to replace the Axial plastic piece. MIP driveshafts are now in place front and rear to handle the power from the HH 13t Crawlmaster. And I've been trying to determine how I want to lay out the electronics and I think I've got a good plan put together now.

First I made a plate that mounts where the dig servo would go. The ESC (HH waterproof) sits just perfectly in its new home. You can't see it, but the BEC and Axial LED control board are under the driver's seat area.

I hate having to go through a hassle changing out batteries. So this is my solution. First, I made a plate to mount behind the front grill. That's a magnet glued to styrene, which is glued to the aluminum bracket. The styrene was used to get the magnet to the right height.

Then I hinged the hood with some scrap aluminum I formed around a 1/4" mandrel. It moves easily, but also holds in place when you let go, which is pretty convenient.

Closing the hood, the rare earth magnet I glued to the lexan hood snaps to the grill mounted magnet very securely. But to play it safe (and since I already had holes in my hood), I decided to put some upward protruding screws to help provide lateral support. They also kinda look like real hood pins. :mrgreen: The hinged hood now works just like I'd hoped!

Lastly, yesterday I received my Rogue Elements cargo area kit and got it put together. Great kit if you can get your hands on one! I need to repaint the fuel cell, though, 'cause I screwed up the paint a bit. No worries, though. 8)

I ran most of a battery through it and the crawling is good, but I think I can get the low speed control better with some tweaking of the throttle curves. Top speed is pretty close to that of a stock Wraith on 3s...i.e adequate. :cool2: The motor seemed to get pretty darn hot, though. Hopefully that won't be an issue....otherwise, this thing will end up going brushless.

I'm meeting a couple guys out at Bull Creek today after work if anyone is interested in joining us. I just need to put the rx in a balloon so it'll all be nice and waterproofed. :mrgreen:

I took the rig on a nice trail run yesterday evening and it did really well. Gobs of wheelspeed and it crawled well considering there's no weight down low (yet). Unfortunately, I'm not I'm really feelin' this truck so I'm contemplating selling it and maybe building a Class 2 rig instead. I don't know.... I need to think about this some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
    I took the rig on a nice trail run yesterday evening and it did really well. Gobs of wheelspeed and it crawled well considering there's no weight down low (yet). Unfortunately, I'm not I'm really feelin' this truck so I'm contemplating selling it and maybe building a Class 2 rig instead. I don't know.... I need to think about this some more.
    bummer that you feel that way.

i had a blast driving mine around cibolo sunday. let me know if you decide to sell i may have a buyer for you.

So I did some work to the Wraith tonight. Got the VP CMS and track bar mounted up. Unfortunately, the lower shock mounts need to be mounted in the stock orientation, which raises the ride height a bit compared to how I had them mounted (upside down). This is required so the track bar mounts attaches correctly. So I flipped them and will see how it performs. Anyway, here it is all installed along with VP knuckles/C's and some Axial universals.

An overall shot as of tonight. I'm contemplating mounting the ESC in the rear, possibly inside the Rogue tray under the "fuel tank". I'm wanting to leave as much room as possible under the hood for a good sized battery since I want good capacity and 4 cells.