Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy R's 2.2 Class/TTC Scaler

Tommy R's 2.2 Class/TTC Scaler

Well, I've really been bitten by the scaler bug...and also by the Top Truck Challenge (TTC) bug! I was planning on making an 8 wheel drive trials truck my next rig since the Jeep is nearly done, but I've decided to put that one on hold for a little bit longer. Instead I'm going to focus on something else. I'm now going to build a truck that will be legal for our Trail/Modified scale class, but it will have a strong styling and performance influence from the trucks you see in the Four Wheeler magazine Top Truck Challenge.

I knew I wanted to run Axial axles because I wanted a wide track width. I also figured I'd run an Axial tranny. And I wanted to start with an SCX10 chassis. So what I decided to do was purchase a brand new Honcho. However, I will not be using the body/bumpers/bed/sliders. I'll sell that stuff off (PM me if interested and make me an offer). I plan on spending a lot of time with brake line and brazing solder on this chassis. Not sure how much of the SCX10 frame will remain when all is said and done. I may use all of it or none of it. It depends on several factors, but I suspect I'll keep most of it.

So the chassis and drivetrain is mostly selected, but what about the body? Full-on tuber? Truggy? Full exo-cage? Honestly, at this point I don't know, but I can tell you that I want it to be large. Why? Well, first of all I want to run the 1.9 Rok Lox on it and they're tall. So to keep things looking scale, I need to have a large body. In addition, I'm hoping that we end up having more TTC style events and that we can open it up to 2.2 trucks eventually. So I want to be able to run 2.2 tires/wheels on this rig and not have it look like a goofy looking comp rig.

Something like this would be cool, but the F-350 body is just too small for 2.2's, IMO.

A tube buggy would be cool, but that's just not my thing. I want it to be recognizable as a once-upon-a-time-street-driven vehicle.

Something like this could work, but not a full tube chassis.

And if I wanted to make it look even more serious, I could give it the same treatment as this rig.

I would love an ABS body, but none are large enough or of a style I like. So I'll likely have to forego some scale points and use a lexan body. I'm not sure yet. I suppose it'll end up having some sort of interior since it likely won't have much of a roof and certainly no windows. It'll definitely be cut up quite a bit, too. The HPI early Bronco is a strong contender. Maybe the Jeep Rubicon, but I've already done a Jeep so I', inclined to look elsewhere. Maybe a Scout? It just depends on the body I find that I like AND is large enough for this truck. If you've got any suggestions, I'm all ears. :thumbsup:

That's it for now. I'll post more when the truck arrives or I have more to contribute. :cool2:

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -

Re: Tommy R's Trail Class/TTC Scaler

Sounds like a cool project Tommy! Looking forward to seeing what you do!

the hilux is the largest of the tamiya hardbodies and about 1/9 scale.
    and the hpi jeep lexan body is about the largest one scale wise nearing 1/8. the MGT sized bodies are also larger. ive got one of the discoed chevy MGT sized bodies i could measure for ya.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

Corey, what are MGT bodies?

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R
    Corey, what are MGT bodies?
    Monster GT made by associated

Oh! Well, I looked at the bodies on the Associated site and they look more like pre-runner style. Not quite what I'm looking for. This is likely the body I'll start with.

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC

My truck is a 1:9.3 scale replica of Big Tex. It came to me with 2.2s on it. I then put some 1.9 Roc Loxs on it and it stills looks the part. If you are looking for some inspiration, here are a couple of links with the type vehicles you are looking at; http://www.proffittscruisers.com/rock-crawlers.html and http://www.skyjacker.com/media/project_vehicles/.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy R
    Oh! Well, I looked at the bodies on the Associated site and they look more like pre-runner style. Not quite what I'm looking for. This is likely the body I'll start with.

proline makes a whole line of mgt sized bodies. there simply larger versions of some of there regular bodies.
    2008 TXRCRCA Super Class State Champ
    2009 Runner Up
    and scaler freak :D

have you looked at the New Bright '07 Chevy hard bodies? they are 1/8 and are pretty wide. i have one that i'm rebuilding right now. here is the only good pic i have of the width (don't look at the goofy looking grillguard, that was a bad idea :Shaking: ). it was wide enough to almost tuck tlt axles with wideners. if you like i can take some better ones tonight with axial axles.

Thanks, Travis! Yes, more pics would be great!

TEAM DRIVER
    LOCKED UP RC