Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little N.A.'s (My Son's) Losi MRC comp rig

Little N.A.'s (My Son's) Losi MRC comp rig

My son has wanted a LMRC since they first came out. No one was interested in them in the ETC and I did not want to buy one. Well after State and competing with him in California, my wife and I decided it was time to build him one. I also signed him for up 1.9 at Crawlapalooza. I hate to admit it, but he's a better driver than me. He practices a lot more than me and doesn't have some of the hang ups I do. If he can learn to stay calm and not put pressure on himself he would probably do even better. I always tell him it's for fun, but he's so competitive I don't think he listens.

I bought the axles, trans and chassis from a guy in California. I made the lower links and upper link plates. Here are the basic specs:

Losi MRC axles with;
    Steel lockers
    Aluminum C's
    Aluminum steering knuckles
    Aluminum straight axle adapters
    Losi CVD's in front
    wide aluminum hexes

Losi MRC trans with
    Steel locker
    60T spur
    13T pinion

Electronics:
    Hitec 5645MG
    CC BEC
    Tekin FXR
    Losi stock mini crawler motor
    Zippy 2S 600mah lipo
    Spektrum RX
    DX3R TX

Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways.

http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/

Re: Little N.A.'s (My Son's) Losi MRC comp rig

I did a trade with Montana Matt on RCC for the Losi wheels. I made him a set of 1.9 Panther Cougars. The Panther Cobras I made on my son's truck are in the Soft compound and so far seem great. Admittedly I don't know a lot about these minis and have spent a lot of time reading and asking questions both on here and RCC. I bought a mongoose system for it from Patrick (Locked Up) so that should be a huge improvement over the stock motor.

When I first acquired the main parts for this build, it came with Hot Racing metal drive shafts and Hot Racing lower links. The front lower link were straight while the rear were 30* high clearanced. I ended up using those links for the uppers and cut new lower links from delrin. I had to bend the front uppers to about 20* degrees or so to clear the shocks. The rears were fine. I would guess it has link geometry close to a GC2 since my upper links are very long and attach directly above the center of the axle. It still has some slight torque twist, but since I have no reference for these minis, I am not sure if I am way off the mark or in the ball park in terms of link placement.
    Give 20 people the same chassis & axles, and they'll build a crawler 20 different ways.

that looks sweet

SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS Locked Up's Avatar

Looking good.

I think 1.9 is gonna be great this year for us. Hopefully yall can generate more interest too.
    LOCKED UP RC
    - SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
    LockedUpRC.com

Nice, looks like someone will have a strong mrc.
    Don't fix it if it's not broke. Now thats just stupid...
    Sponsored by:
    Radio Control Headquarters http://www.shoprchq.com
    www.rchqonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Locked Up
    Looking good.

I think 1.9 is gonna be great this year for us. Hopefully yall can generate more interest too.
    X2

these 1.9s have brought the fun back into crawling for me..

build looks great!! cant wait to go against it at crawlapalooza. :thumbsup:

Thank you for all the kind words guys :thumbsup:

We are going to have a mini class this year in the ETC. Athens Cyclist has one, BigFlex has one and now Gavin has one. I ended up with Pariah's mini but its bone stock and Gavin stripped transmission in a matter of minutes once I put the Cobras on :mrgreen: . That mini will need everything and I haven't decided whether to keep it or fix it and sell it.

Well Gavin and I got totally blessed in a trade with RPMJ (Rodney). I made him a set of Panther super size Plowboys and we traded for bead locks. My son had always wanted a set of bullet Vanquish bead locks and Rodney made his dream come true. I also had made a set of 1.9 Cougars for Montana Matt and he speaks highly of the design so I made a set for Gavin. Here they are all mounted up:

They are exactly 4 1/4 high. The fronts weigh 9.8 ounces and the rears weigh 6.2 total ounces. That is with the rim+foam+tire+weight. The truck definitely needs to be lowered in order to get the COG lower. Overall performance is good, but the cobras definitely side hilled better. The weight is exactly the same as the cobra bead locks so there is no difference there. The cougars climbed smooth / slick river rock better but they were more difficult to drive on vertical ledge climbs due to the higher center of gravity.

That thing rocks :thumbsup:
    McTwist

Hey Eddie, since you have both sets of wheels/tires, try them both in similar situations. My truck's handling improved quite drastically when I went to the shorter tire. What I gave up in ground clearance I gained in overall stability and sidehilling. Just my 2 cents, but since they are already setup, it would be an easy test on your own.
    2008 TXRCRCA 2.2 Winner Class State Champion
    2009 TXRCRCA 1.9 Winner Class 1st Loser
    2010 TXRCRCA 1.9 Winner Class State Champion